Pierogies- caramelized onion, cabbage and potato


There is something to be said about dough stuffed with potato then sauteed in butter. Whats the word I'm looking for? YUM!  These are pretty time consuming but well worth the effort.
I made the filling first, caramelized onions with cabbage.
I boiled potatoes and used my trusty ricer to mash them. Season the mixture with dried mustard, sea salt, freshly ground pepper and 3 tbsp of earth balance.
Next I made the dough which consisted of
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup water
I kneaded it until it was soft and smooth, then let it rest for 30 minutes in a bowl while I washed up the dishes. Then I pulled out my pasta roller ( a gift from my dad).  Cut the dough into 4 sections. Start on number 1 and work your way down to number 5.  If you don't have a pasta roller, get out the old rolling pin and get rolling!
Another great invention: Ring molds/cutters(another gift from my dad:)  Cut out rounds and place a little ball of the potato mixture in the middle.  Pull the dough together and press down firmly.
Once you have no more dough. You can either eat them, or freeze them for later.  Bring a pot of water to boil.  Place the pierogies into the pot,wait until they float up to the surface.  Drain. Heat up a pan with earth  balance or oil.  Add the pierogies and cook until golden. I like mine with sauted mushrooms.
One recipe makes about 52 pierogies. If you have potato mixture left you can always make potato cakes!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com