Lavender Orange Tea Cake

I picked up some cooking lavender at the Halifax Farmers Market a few weekends back. It was my plan to make some sort of shortbread cookie with it, but I decided to make a tea cake with it instead.

I figured it would be best to use applesauce since it doesn't have a strong flavor, and orange zest to play off the lavender. I was a little worried that it might taste like perfume, but it only has a slight hint of flowers. I also added a sucanat sugar crumble to the top. I think I would infuse the milk with a bit more lavender next time, but this turned out moist and light perfect to go with a hot cup of tea.

  • 1 cup non-dairy milk
  • 1 tbsp dried cooking lavender

Heat the milk and lavender up, and steep for at least 10 minutes

  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp clove powder
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/3 cup veggie oil
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 1 orange zested and juiced
  • 2 tsp dried lavender

Topping

  • 1/4 cup organic sucanat sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tbsp earth balance

In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients.
In a small mixing bowl combine wet ingredients, including infused milk
Pour wet into dry and stir until combined.
In a greased loaf pan pour mixture in.
In a small bowl combine topping ingredients and mix up with fingers until resmebles course crumbs
Spread the topping mixture over the batter and bake in a 350 oven for 40-50 minutes or until done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com