Profile: Matthew White


Having known Matthew White for a few years, and after reading the introduction to Italy of My Dreams, I wanted to find just the right words to describe the breadth of his character. Without a doubt, he is one the most charming, humble and talented people I have come across in recent years. So, when words failed me, I went back to a story that Matthew originally wrote for the September-October 2007 issue of Southern Accents.

I have linked to the article for you to read. Every time that I read his words I choke back tears. It is a wonderful reminder that the richness of our existence comes from finding and appreciating beauty in our everyday life.

How would you describe your personal style?
My personal style is steeped in history and clearly influenced by Italy, but always has elements of wit. I’m not a fan of design that takes itself to seriously.

What is your most prized possession?
I’d say my sanity, but that would be a stretch! The carved wood Monkey once owned by Billy Baldwin has a deep, personal meaning for me on many levels. I first saw it it his book, Billy Baldwin Decorates. That book changed my life.

What is your idea of earthly happiness?
A day without email, at home with my dog in my lap

What is the one thing in life you cannot live without?
Great food. And chocolate, but that’s redundant.

What inspires your creativity and designs
?
Great architecture is a huge inspiration, also travel, gardens and art.

Who are your style icons?
Billy Baldwin, Rudolph Nureyev, Palladio, George Balanchine

Who would you most like to collaborate with on a project
?
Anyone with a palazzo in Venice (as long as they are nice).

What books are currently on your bedside table?
The Edith Wharton biography
Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese: Rivals in Renaissance Venice

What is your favorite luxury in life?
A Bellini at the Cipriani in Venice on a perfect summer day.

Past or present who has most influenced your direction in life
?
As a child—my parents, and my piano and ballet teachers.
As an adult—an army of dear souls who have mentored and encouraged me.

Profile by Ronda Carman

Photos From Italy of my Dreams
Photographs by Art Grey
Copyright © 2010 Pointed Leaf Press, LLC
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com