Teriyaki vegetables with toasted sushi rice and baked tofu



I have been slack'n on the blog posts this week, not that I haven't cooked every day :P
I made a really yummy red kidney bean balls with spaghetti, and chili with cornbread,( the kid helped with the cornbread ) I wish I posted it all, but sometimes you are so hungry by the end of the cooking process that you just can't be bothered to take a picture, and there are no leftovers ( because it was so good :)

For dinner tonight I made miso soup, and toasted sushi rice cooked with a vegetable broth, teriyaki vegetables with baked tofu, and for dessert a warm banana loaf!



I have to admit I am not the best at cooking rice, its really a hit and miss for me, does anyone else have this problem?

I have dabbled with Mexican rice a few times and the recipe always says to dry toast it until golden, and the results are always spectacular!

I decided to toast the sushi rice and add a half a vegetable bouillon cube to the water. It turned out great. I think the best advice when cooking rice, is that it needs to sit off the heat for at least 10 minutes ( if you are cooking pot method). Then I mixed 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with 1 tbsp of maple syrup together and poured it over when I fluffed the rice.  I had no brown rice vinegar :(

For the veggies I mixed together about 4 tbsp of tamari with 2 tbsp of maple syrup, mince 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp of cornstarch and 3 tbsp of water, and 2 tsp of cane sugar. Heated the wok, added the oil, sauteed the veggies, added a little water and then poured the mixture over top. It took seconds to thicken up, I pulled it off the heat right away.

Toasted sesame seeds are essential!













Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com