Red Lentil Curry


This is was my night off so to speak, I don't normally use prepackaged food but when I do, I try and get the least amount of weird stuff listed in the ingredients. Being a vegan it is difficult to find these types of foods so when I do I am stoked!  I have experimented with Asian Home Gourmet products a few times the ones that I have tried are spice pastes. This is the first time I used red lentils and the family had seconds! I added a lot more coconut milk then the recipe called for (a full can), added a bay leaf,  cinnamon stick (broken), chopped fresh tomato, red wine vinegar, and a sea salt.  I also added peas, the little ones favorite:)



This is what I did:

Melted 1 tbsp of earth balance in a pot, add sliced onions, sauteed until very soft, added the spice package(that is all this product is, and oily spice).  2/3 of a cup of rinsed red lentils (until the water runs clear),
added 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, bay leaf, and the broken cinnamon stick. Brought to a boil, added more coconut milk. Simmered until lentils were cooked (almost to a mush), added the vinegar, seasoned to taste, and added 1 cup of frozen peas & fresh chopped cilantro.
Served it with basmati rice.






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com