Roasted carrot, chickpea & basmati rice salad


I was invited to a potluck party this evening, I wanted to make something that didn't need to be heated up but still packed a good protein punch. I have a book that I regularly look to for inspiration, Culinary Artistry. It doesn't have recipes, what it does have is a list of different foods and spices and what they pair well with. Very helpful.

I had a bunch of mint that I wanted to use up, and when I looked at the pairings the word carrot spoke to me....I had some local carrots in my fridge.

I like roasted vegetables but I don't like overly roasted ones..hehe
So this is what I came up with...I had a few taste testers on hand and they gobbled it up.

1 cup cooked basmati rice
1 red pepper- small diced
1 stalk celery- small diced
1 1/2 cups chickpeas
1/4 cup chopped mint

Combine ingredients in a bowl

2 carrots- peeled and sliced
drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with cumin powder, dried mint, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and a splash of maple syrup.

In an oven at 375 roast carrots for about 25 minutes or until soft. Combine with rice.

Dressing

1 tbsp 3-6-9 oil
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp dried mint
1 clove garlic-minced
1/4 tsp paprika
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp maple syrup
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

In a mason jar combine ingredients and shake up. Pour over salad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com