Sweet Potato & Tamarind Curry with Basmati rice

It been almost a week since my last post, both my daughters have been very sick with the flu :( I feel so helpless at times. I know I just have to give them lots of love and fluids.

This week I have slacked a bit on the kitchen duties.
I have been cooking the really quick dinners. You know the kind, BLT's, spaghetti, soup, etc.

Tonight I made a quick curry...one of my favorite comfort foods. I luv'it!!
I wish I had more experience in Indian cooking, maybe if I return to the restaurant industry, I would love to try my hand in a professional Indian kitchen.

I used the tamarind I bought a while back. I remember my first experience using it. I just added it, and ended up with a crunchy-seedy curry. Not the best. So this time I soaked a chunk of it in a little water and loosened the seeds. Drained it and added it to the curry. It has a sweet and sour taste, I think it gives the curry more "umpf".

I also have some exciting news...but I can't divulge it quite yet ;) I will know more as the week progresses. hehehe

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion-sliced
3 cloves garlic-minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger-minced
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp curry powder
1/4 tsp allspice
2 tbsp fennel seeds- toasted and crushed
1 can coconut milk
1 can water
3 tbsp tamarind paste- soaked in 1/4 cup water-drained
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1 green pepper-chopped
2 tsp cane sugar
2 tsp sea salt
freshly ground pepper

In a large saute pan heat pan on medium high heat, add oil.
Add onions and saute for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add garlic and ginger.
Add spices and stir around until no longer powdery.
Add potato, stir to cover with spices.
Add coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 5 minutes
Add chickpeas and tamarind. Season with sugar,salt and pepper.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com