{idea notebook} Color Ceilings

I became inspired to paint ceilings when I saw a fantastic aged-silver treatment all aglow above a glorious chandelier. It crossed my mind at that moment how overlooked ceilings often are. If you think of masterpieces, the Sistine Chapel comes to mind, how ceilings were frequently used by great artists as another canvas. In decorating a treated ceiling is much like a fifth, but often forgotten, wall. I love shimmery ceilings to create feminine spaces, striped ceilings to add a visual graphic for nursery spaces and deep ceilings in overtly masculine rooms. House Beautiful recently asked several designers where they loved to use painted ceilings, the following are some excerpts to inspire:
  • " I wanted a library to be dark and moody, elegant and lush, so I picked this marvelous gray for the walls, trim and ceiling... The whole room felt like the inside of a jewelry box." (John Oetgen: Benjamin Moore's Dior Gray 2133-40)
  • "When I worked at Parish-Hadley, Albert often suggested putting a little pink in the white of a ceiling to make it more of a flesh tone. It just sort of blushes, and the reflection is more flattering." (Thomas Jayne: Benjamin Moore Opal-OC-73)
  • "I love to paint porch ceilings the color of a clear blue sky..." (Paula Perlini: Benjamin Moore Tear Drop Blue 2053-60)
  • "I usually opt for an ethereal shade like this pink...In this bedroom it adds warmth and contrast to the green. It brings your eye up and automatically raises the ceiling height." (Jamie Drake: Benjamin Moore I Love You Pink 2077-70) *As seen in the image above
*photography via House Beautiful, Interview quotes by Christine Pittel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com