Lemon & Ginger Kombucha and my not so green thumb



Here is my first batch of Kombucha. I am pretty stoked that it turned out, no mold on the mother and it is tasty. Originally I thought I was suppose to leave it for a month...then I started reading other blogs and finding out that if you leave it to long it will turn into vinegar. Not what I am trying to make.

Everything I read said to taste it, so I poked my finger into the big jar with the SCOBY, and tasted it. Low and behold it tasted pretty darn good and it was super fizzy! BONUS :) I think because its been so humid here that it must of increased the fermentation? All in all it was in the big jar for 11 days.

I am not sure, but when the weather gets colder it might take longer?

Kombucha taste good on its own, but why not enhance the flavor?
Once I drained the tea from the mother I added grated ginger and a couple lemon wedges. Supposedly you can make it more carbonated by letting it sit for a couple more days.....I think its bubbly enough. Once I had a shot of it, I felt neat inside. Its hard to describe but I felt happy. Maybe it was just the happiness that is worked... I have read that it can make you feel euphoric?

With the success of the Kombucha brings me some failure in the garden :(
Perhaps its that I have had bigger things on my mind. No excuses!! I have had luck with container gardening...maybe because there are no weeds to pull, no bugs to eat your veggies ( which was the main problem for me) I went out to look at it the other day, and it was pitiful. I felt bad because I thought it would be easy to grow food. I was wrong.  I got 1 radish, yes 1.
Radishes are suppose to be one of the easiest things to grow.pfff. I feel defeated.


On to better things...my friends have said not to give up, and I wont. I think that I am better suited to containers. I like the idea of a veggie garden, and hey next summer I might plant some more. I won't start from seed. Its hard with these east coast summers, I think there is only 2 months of actually growing time.


On the positive side I have a salad growing on my deck! Which I clipped some out of and made a tasty salad with orange segments and red onion.

and a big pot of chocolate mint a friend gave me last summer that is thriving!
I think it was smart of me to save my tomato plants for pots, they seem to be happy.
I feel that because it was my first time...I won't give up. I WILL grow my own food, and I do have a pumpkin still growing, fingers crossed it will make it to see Halloween and then soup!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com