Soup on Sunday: Tortellini-Parmesan Soup


Do you have an easy weeknight favorite recipe? One that you go to ad nauseam? And then, without reason, it fades away? Such was the case with my tortellini soup. I guess it was forgotten in the move. Too many new foods and recipes to explore I suppose.

Thanks to a Facebook message from an old friend, I was recently reminded of this wonderfully simple soup. I have altered the ingredients from my original version, as Mr. Man does not like tomatoes. Perhaps our son will outgrow this phase or “forget” his dislike in the near future, just as I had forgotten this recipe.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
10 - 12 cups vegetable stock
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)
5-6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 cup coarsely chopped fresh baby spinach
2 packages fresh cheese tortellini

In a large stockpot heat oil on medium-high. Add onion and garlic. Sauté 3-4 minutes until translucent. Add vegetable stock and pepper. Bring to a soft boil. Stir in Parmesan cheese, basil, spinach and tortellini. Cook 6-8 minutes on a low boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to individual serving bowls. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

Serves 4 - 6
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com