Dinner at Dawnridge

A few weeks ago I received an email from my friend Michael Billings asking if I would like to have dinner at Dawnridge with Ruth and Hutton Wilkinson. Immediately my heart began racing and my hands shaking as I typed my reply, “I would LOVE to have dinner at Dawnridge!” The email was followed by a loud shriek that sent my husband running into our lounge.

What I love about blogging is the thousands of like minded ‘friends’ who share a small part of your world, and at times, in your excitement. I have been bursting to share my news with all you for days. However, afraid I might jinx myself, I kept it quiet. Finally the day arrived (after a 13 hour flight) and I was a guest at Dawnridge last evening.

It is almost impossible to describe the splendor that looms behind the large front door. I was seriously breathless as I stood in the famed 18-foot high drawing room. The entire house was aglow with candlelight. I found it wonderfully overwhelming as I tried to focus, but with so much beauty fighting for my attention it was difficult. I felt like Alice after stepping through the looking glass.

Like his mentor and friend Toy Duquette, Hutton is very much a Renaissance man. Before dinner Ruth and Hutton lead us on a tour of the exotic grounds and gardens. To actually see the pavilions, pagodas, sculptures and Tony Duquette's 28' tall sculpture The Phoenix Rising from Its Flame, amidst a jungle-like rain forest, is spectacular.

Ruth is such a beautiful woman and Hutton is mesmerizing. To be seated next to him at dinner and listen to stories of Tony and Elsie de Wolfe was priceless. Many thanks to Hutton and Ruth for a lovely and unforgettable evening. Sometimes dreams really do come true.



















Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com