Debra Shriver: Stealing Magnolias

I love that I just never know who is reading my blog or from where the next email might arrive. Certainly it keeps me on my toes. Most recently I received a lovely email from Sue-Jean Chun telling me of her dear friend Debra Shriver’s new book Stealing Magnolias: Tales from a New Orleans Courtyard.

As one who loves the city of New Orleans, I could not wait to get my hands on a copy after seeing the images. As luck would have it, I was traveling to NYC where Debra is based and had a chance to see it in person.

In addition to authoring Stealing Magnolias, Debra is Vice President and Chief Communications Officer for Hearst. I had the privilege of spending a wonderful morning with Deb in her stunning office at the Hearst Tower earlier in October.

Stealing Magnolias is a beautifully written, and illustrated, love letter to New Orleans, her newly adopted city. Immediately after Hurricane Katrina Deb bought a town house in the French Quarter and began renovating and restoring the house to its original state. During the process she became friends with many of the artisans, decorators and designers in the city.

Through Deb’s eyes readers are given a rare tour of this enigmatic city. The book is a cultural guidebook and historical reference of America's most European city, featuring the work of more than 20 photographers and artists. Chapters highlight food and entertaining, decorating, gardens, landscapes, local traditions, interiors, and architecture. Another one for the bookshelf!







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com