Profile: Cortney and Robert Novogratz

I want to be the child of Robert and Cortney Novogratz in my next life. Or, at the very least, I want their ingenuity and stamina. Bob and Cortney, the founders of Sixx Design, and the parents of six beautiful children (now almost seven), including two sets of twins, certainly have a sixth sense when it comes to real estate.

Self-taught designers and developers, this dynamic duo has created a lucrative business transforming dilapidated buildings into upscale residences. Having refurbished or built from scratch more than 10 homes, the Novogratzes have a history of turning nothing into something, and creating real estate value where little existed before. Not to mention, they wear all the hats; from general contractors to interior designers.

Often the Novogratz family live in the homes they design before they are sold, many times furniture included. Bob and Cortney scour flea markets and travel the world in search iron sculptures, cast-off stained glass windows or the perfect lamp to complement homes they design. What I love most is their unabashed use of texture, color and pattern—it’s bold and brilliant!

As always, there are so many books to read and anticipate, but I am especially excited about their new book Downtown Chic, which includes the completion of their latest project—a 6 six-story glass residence facing the Hudson River. Downtown Chic, published by Rizzoli, is set to be released May 2009. As soon as it’s available, I promise to let you know! I’m certain that it will be one to add the library.

Profile Robert Novogratz:

What did you enjoy most about writing Downtown Chic?
It was very meaningful for us to get a chance to chronicle all of our work, and we were given extreme freedom by Rizzoli to make it the book we wanted, which was something to help inspire other people with our designs, but also to have lots of laughs and reinforce just how lucky we are.

How would you describe your personal style?
My personal style is really a reflection of my design style. Eclectic, with a mix of new and vintage.

Who are your style icons
?
Ralph Lauren, Yoji Yamamoto, Jean Prouve, Paul Smith and Frank Gehry.

What are your greatest accomplishments?
The strength of my marriage and my family are always at the top. And, we are very proud with what we've been able to accomplish with Sixx Design.

Who would you most like to collaborate with on a project?
The collaborations we are working on now are pretty amazing. We are doing projects right now with artist Richard Woods (Established and Sons) on our new building in downtown Manhattan, and with industrial designer Stephen Burks (Readymade Projects). Both are pure genius.

Cortney and I feel like we are getting a masters degree in design from working with both of them.

What is your favorite luxury in life?
Travel. Seeing the world really inspires me in every possible way.


What is your most prized possession?
Our home in Trancoso, Brazil because it is so zen, peaceful, and physically-beautiful.

What is the one thing in life you cannot live without?
Living in New York City!

What books are currently on your bedside table?
Atlas Shrugged is what I am reading now. I read it twenty years ago for the first time, but picked it back up recently. I needed some inspiration in these crazy times, and the book really reinforced to me how history repeats itself.

What has been your most interesting project to date
?
Each new building we complete.

Profile Cortney Novogratz:

What did you enjoy most about writing Downtown Chic
?
I really enjoyed reliving our past projects through the book. It was a great journey, and chronicle of everything we have accomplished so far, and reminds me how much fun we have had pursuing our dream.

How would you describe your personal style
?
I like to look natural and unfussy, with a little bit of bling to make it more interesting!

Who are your style icons
?
I love the young and fun style of Betsey Johnson, though I can say on the other hand, that I really love the simplicity and elegance of Ralph Lauren too.

What are your greatest accomplishments
?
Like Robert, I would have to say that my greatest accomplishments involve my marriage and family.


Who would you most like to collaborate with on a project?
I am already part of the perfect collaboration with my husband.

What is your favorite luxury in life
?
Travel with my family in tow is my biggest luxury in life, even though it is always a bit of a production.

What are your most prized possessions?
My kids.

What is the one thing in life you cannot live without?
Cocktails and good conversation with dear friends.

What books are currently on your bedside table?
I am reading Letters To a Mother. It seems appropriate since I am nine months pregnant with our seventh child.

What has been your most interesting project to date
?
Our very first house was the most interesting project to date. Looking back, it is amazing how naive and blissful we were, and how much we have grown since that time.

Profile by Ronda Carman
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com