Shopping on Saturday: SFERRA and Paul Hooker

One of my very favorite patterns, Saxon, in chocolate embroidery showcases exquisite stitching.

With the weather turning colder I have been thinking about blankets and bedding. Some of you may remember my blog post on bedding and thread count earlier in the year. I stated in that post that I have always been perfectly happy with my soft jersey knit sheets and was not certain that some linens and bedding warranted such high price tags.

Well, you all weighted in on the issue and I was proven wrong. Over the summer I received a beautiful set of SFERRA sheets (great gift!) and now I must confess that I am a believer. Not only do I love my SFERRA linens, but I love the history of the company too. It has to be said that I also like the SFERRA price point.

SFERRA began as a purveyor of fine Italian lace in 1891. As the turn-of-the-century approached, the company's industrious founder, Gennaro Sferra, left Italy for the United States in hopes of attracting a market for his intricate Venetian lace cuffs and collars. He found his clientele in the well-heeled guests who frequented the grand seaside resorts that once dotted the East Coast from Maine to Palm Beach, and traveled regularly to sell his goods.

The beautiful Bristol throw blends pima cotton and alpaca in a soft, lustrous weave.
$150.00

Recognizing the growing demand for delicate hand embroideries, Gennaro decided to take the next step in building his business. In 1905, he opened Factory 5007 San Severo, located in the shadow of the Rialto Bridge in Venice. Twice a year, Gennaro returned to his homeland by steamer to create a new collection of the most luxurious linens, handmade laces and embroideries.

A generation later, in the 1940s and 1950s, Gennaro's two sons, Enrico and Albert, expanded their father's collection to include the most luxurious European linens of the day—Ireland's renowned double damask, France's refined Alençon Laces and the beautiful embroideries from Belgium and Switzerland.

SFERRA changed hands in 1977 when Paul Hooker and his partner George Matouk purchased the company from the Sferra family. Through the power of email I have gotten to know Paul Hooker and his commitment to excellence. I can honestly tell you that he is truly the best.

The luxurious Cortland Herringbone, woven from the finest 2-ply cashmere in a subtle herringbone weave.
$540.00

Profile - Paul Hooker:

What is your most prized possession?
Well, since I can’t consider my wife and children “possessions” it would be the family picture of them taken at the Jersey Shore. It hangs in our living room at home.

Who are your style icons?
Not any particular person; rather, any gentleman wearing a navy Hickey Freeman suit…Cole Haan wing tips saddle color…belt to match….Faconnable French-cuff striped shirt and Faconnable stripe tie…the key would be the colors in the shirt and tie, and the varied stripes in both, working perfectly together to pop the suit.Pocket silk to set it off of course.

What books are currently on your bedside table?
The Post American World by Fareed Zakaria
The Fog of War: Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara by James G. Blight
Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution--and How It Can Renew America by Thomas L. Friedman

What is your favorite luxury in life?
Forced time off so I can relax without feeling that I should be doing something else. That would mean a 17 hour First Class flight to Shanghai. There is nothing else that I can do (I can’t even check emails!!) so why not relax...eat...drink...and read...thus, the forced relaxation.

What is the only other occupation you would consider?
Professional baseball pitcher. Period.

What do you love most about owning your own company?
The autonomy, and knowing that the buck stops here, and that’s right where I want it to stop.

What makes your sheets so wonderfully luxurious?
I could tell you but then I would have to...OK, I will anyway...we’ve been working on that special combination since 1891 with the best weavers in Italy. It is that perfect combination of the best Egyptian Cotton yarns and the most time-tested weaving technique followed by the world’s best bleach/dye house that uses our special formula. It gives the fabric that wonderful feel of luxury. And finally, the very skilled Italian seamstresses, sewing the finished product to perfection. Leave out any of these, and it just wouldn’t be SFERRA.

Who would you most like to meet and how would you spend the day?
My first choice would be Jesus Christ, but I wouldn’t want to have to die just yet to do it! So, we’ll go with Warren Buffet. Spending the day with him, soaking up as much as I could learn from the most successful investor in America.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com