Deconstructing the Art Wall

An eclectic assemblage of art hanging in the Kate Spade SoHo store--a mix of sizes, styles and mediums.

I recently came across this brilliant post from Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan Co-Founder/NY Editor for Apartment Therapy. Maybe some of you have seen this before, but it's new to me and seemed worthy of sharing. I for one struggle with hanging art. I know EXACTLY what I want, but I don't always execute my plan to perfection.

This is the starting picture - the keystone - everything hangs off of image number 1. Nothing maintains the horizontal line. Every picture "steps" down.

All the pictures "weep" or "slope" down from that center picture. The pictures in this assembly center around one picture and then "cascade" down on both sides.

Look at the keystone picture, there is an X and Y axis to the whole collection. Outside of picture number 1, these four pictures anchor the whole wall.

More Beautiful Walls of Art:

domino magazine

domino magazine

Miles Redd

Muriel Brandolini
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Ping in TotalPing.com